Rostov-on-Don (Russian: Ростов-на-Дону, Rostov-na-Donu [rə'stof nə də'nu]) is the city and the administrative center of Rostov region and the Southern Federal District of Russia, located on the Don River. The mouth of the Don River has been of great commercial and cultural importance since the ancient times. It was the site of a Greek colony, a Genoese fort, and a Turkish fortress at different times throughout history.
Rostov-on-Don was named after Saint Dimitry of Rostov, and was established in 1749. Much of the city was reduced to rubble by the German forces who occupied it in 1941-1943. Since then the city was rebuild and continues to grow and expand with new, modern buildings.
Today, Rostov-on-Don has population of over one million, it is the most heavily industrialized city of South Russia, cultural center with large number of universities, colleges, architectural monuments and museums, and is an important river port in both passenger-oriented and industrial shipping. The main feature of the downtown is the Cathedral of Virgin's Nativity (built 1860-87).
Rostov-on-Don has experienced considerable economic growth in recent years, and the city is being transformed into a modern, industrial and technology-rich hub, and bustling business center.
Rostov-on-Don Photo Gallery : Russia Photo Websites